How to Choose Treatment for Your Loved OneDestin Recovery Addiction Treatment Center
Looking for the best Florida drug rehab?
If you’re a family member or friend of an addict, you can play a vital role in guiding your loved one on how to choose (and stick with) treatment. Unfortunately, there’s a large gap between those who need treatment and those who actually get it. In 2013, nearly 23 million Americans could have benefited from treatment for substance abuse, but only 2.5 million people actually got the help they needed. Of the 20.2 million people who went without the treatment they needed at a specialized facility, only 4.5% even realized they needed to get help, according to SAMHSA’s 2013 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). That’s where loved ones come in: By recognizing when your child, partner, friend or spouse needs help with an addiction, you can do the research needed to help him/her figure out how to choose treatment. Depending on the severity of the addiction, the person you care about just might not be capable of doing this research for him/herself.
How do you start the process of finding a treatment center in Florida?
If you have ever Googled “Rehab” or “Treatment Centers”, you are rewarded with hundreds of choices. This “reward” can leave you even more confused. Although there are hundreds of centers, they all start sounding the same when you read what they offer and why they claim to be your best option. “Holistic, Individualized, dynamic, professional, caring, certified, insurance accepted, tailored, chefs, 12 step or non 12 step”, on and on. These are terms that proliferate every brochure or phone call or web site. Are they all the same? Detox or 30 days or 90 days? Who is telling the truth? Help!!!???!!!!
To answer this question, you must have some idea about what IS the problem and what answers are available.
There is much stigma, judgment and downright misinformation about the problem of addiction.
A landmark and very comprehensive research project published from the Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University offers many damning conclusions. They reviewed over 7,000 publications and talked with thousands of individuals active in the treatment of addiction and hundreds of leading experts in the field. Grants for the study came from sources like The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund”. Some of the findings:
- Addiction is a complex disease that involves changes in the structure and function of the brain.
- Of those who receive treatment, most do not receive anything that approximates evidence based care, and that the care given is widely disconnected from mainstream medical practice.
- “There is simply no other disease where appropriate medical treatment is not provided by the health care system…but by a broad range of practitioners largely exempt from medical standards.”
- Addiction treatment facilities are not regulated or held accountable for providing treatment consistent with medical standards and proven practices.
The paper is in no way is meant to minimize the contribution of certified therapists. It is meant as a challenge to the medical community to be more involved.
Does all that confuse you further? Maybe. It also can give you more concrete ideas into what you should be looking for.
Questions you should ask every potential facility involved in your treatment:
- What is your average length of stay for this diagnosis? Ask that of insurance companies too. Virtually all insurance companies and centers will tell you treatment is covered. Believe me. A few days into treatment, you will be told by one or the other that “You no longer meet criteria for continued treatment”.
- Is there an ABAM or ASAM physician at your facility. This means Board Certified in Addiction Medicine. Would you let a non-Board Certified Ob Doc deliver your baby?
- How involved is that doctor in my treatment? Does he/she see me regularly or just on admission. Are they involved in the treatment team decisions? Do they do counseling or give lectures? To provide real and effective medical treatment for a disease, a doctor specializing in that disease should be very intimately involved in your care.
- What does “individualized treatment” actually mean? How is it individualized? Examples? This is one of those phrases that are thrown at you in every pitch to get you. Define it for yourself.
- How often do I get individual counseling? Are my therapists at least Master’s Degree level? Many centers use group therapy as your predominant treatment. The deeper issues that actually lead to addiction MUST be dealt with and many of these issues will never be addressed in a group setting.
- How much of what you present on your website actually happen? Please be specific and pin them down. More often than not a huge bait and switch occurs.
- How do you handle after care? This may be the most important part of treatment, and the center must be there for you in this chronic and relapsing disease.
- What does a chef contribute to my recovery? Where is the evidence that amino acids or saunas improve recovery? What does holistic mean, and what does that do for my recovery? Describe for me a typical day? A weekend day? How do you involve families? Ask any other thing that you wonder about in the brochure or website. This list is by no means exhaustive.
This is a start. It seems like a lot of work, but you or your loved one deserves it. Beware of “success rates”. That usually refers to how many finish a program. Long term recovery is a different matter. Feel free to ask our treatment center and any prospective center any and all of these questions. You will be amazed at some of your answers or lack of them. This can and should be the LAST treatment center.
Our treatment specialists provide:
- Access to the best Florida drug rehab center
- Caring, supportive guidance
- Financial assistance options
- Get the attention you deserve in an intimate, individually focused program with people just like you.
- Heal through an effective blend of integration therapies at on of the world's most beautiful beaches.
- Discover why this has happened to you and learn how to live free from your problem.
- Get treatment from the area's leading addiction specialists.
- Get state of the art treatment proven to work by the latest research - we combine science with real life knowledge and compassion.
- In just 24 hours, we can arrange your travel to our Destin, Florida drug rehab center.